Training and development opportunities
Training and networking opportunities at the University of Cambridge
The Cambridge New Therapeutics Forum promotes interactions between scientists from academia and industry in order to improve opportunities for biotechnology research and development.
The Wellcome Connecting Science Learning and Training team run training courses, conferences and other events focusing on genomics in research and healthcare. Coming up from 11-16 June at the Wellcome Genome Campus in Hinxton is Genomics and Clinical Virology: Learn how to apply next-generation sequencing technologies to clinical virology.
Building Skills through Master’s Level Training and Degrees
From the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education:
From the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine:
From Anglia Ruskin University (ARU):
From Clinical Academic Careers East of England (CLAC East):
- HEE East of England Research Pre-Masters Internships for NMAPs (includes one Master’s level research methods module)
From Health Education England (HEE)/NIHR:
- Integrated Clinical and Practitioner Academic Programme: note that the Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowship (PCAF) for NMAPs can include funding for a Master’s in Clinical Research
- NIHR Fellowship Programme: note that Pre-doctoral Fellowships can include funding for a Master’s degree
Support for Developing a Competitive PhD Fellowship Application
- Cambridge Clinical Research Fellowships Scheme funded by Addenbrooke’s Charitable Trust, NIHR Cambridge BRC and the Evelyn Trust – applications open in January each year
- HEE-NIHR Integrated Clinical and Practitioner Academic Programme – including Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowships (PCAF) for NMAPs
- NIHR Fellowship Programme – including pre-doctoral fellowships
- HEE East of England Pre-doctoral Bridging Fellowships for NMAPs
- PhD Programme for Health Professionals at the Universities of Cambridge and East Anglia
- HEE-NIHR Integrated Clinical and Practitioner Academic Programme (NMAPs)
- NIHR Fellowship Programme
Many charities such as the British Heart Foundation, Dunhill Medical Trust etc. fund PhD fellowships. You can search on Association of Medical Research Charities or on specific charities’ websites.
Post-doctoral and Advanced Fellowships
- HEE East of England Post-doctoral Bridging Fellowships for NMAPs
- HEE/NIHR Advanced Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowships for NMAPs
- NIHR Advanced Fellowships Programme
Many charities such as the British Heart Foundation, Dunhill Medical Trust etc. fund post-doctoral and intermediate fellowships. You can search on Association of Medical Research Charities or specific charities’ websites.
Specifically for NMAPs
NMAP Clinical Research Group meets monthly (hybrid) for peer support, speakers and networking. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to the mailing list.
The NMAP Research Leads for Cambridge University Hospitals offer advice, mentoring and educational opportunities. You can reach them by emailing: (NO EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED)
Coming up / ending soon:
- Applications to the HEE funded research internships, pre-doctoral and post-doctoral bridging fellowships opened on 10 March and are due in mid-May. These are great opportunities for people at different points in their research interests and skill development. Applications and information are available at www.claceast.net.
- On 16 June 2023: CUH NMAP Research Conference and Showcase, Clinical School. Keynote Speakers include Professor Avril Drummond (Occupational Therapist), Dr Zoe Fritz and Professor Christi Deaton. You can register here: https://tinyurl.com/NMAP2023. The call for abstracts is now open.
***Link to Research Hub for NMAPs when developed**